“Spring cleaning is all about personal satisfaction.”
— Peter Walsh
April showers bring May flowers may be one of the oldest sayings in the book, but something we marketers know to be true is just how much more April brings than just showers. Spring is the perfect time for you to start your spring cleaning rituals. I’m not talking about cleaning under the fridge or unpacking the garage. The spring cleaning I’m talking about is all about your business and how you can help it thrive with just a few small steps.
No one enjoys spring cleaning. The monotony of deep cleansing every inch of your house, office, car, etc. I’m getting bored and agitated just thinking about it. The truth of the matter is, it’s not exciting. What is exciting is what spring represents. Spring brings new life, and your business’s marketing is no exception.
What’s great, and challenging, about advertising is that things change so quickly. As soon as you feel comfortable with where you’re at, the trends change, your audience shifts, and you’re stuck trying to figure it all out again. This is where spring cleaning can help. Following the below steps can help any business stay on top of their marketing and ensure that it remains relevant and consistent all season long.
- Research Marketing Trends
This is probably the most important step that you will take. Many advertisers spend a lot of their time engulfed by trending topics, but sometimes things move so quickly that they end up passing you by. Take this time to sit with your team and research what’s new and exciting this year. You’ll be shocked at just how much you didn’t know. Of course there will be many marketing trends that you are well aware of, but this isn’t about what you do know, this is all about learning new things and expanding your marketing to help grow your business!
- Invest In Your Social Media
Odds are your business is on at least one social media platform, and if you’re not, I’d encourage you to at least join Facebook! Everyone is as social as it gets these days. People are spending less time reading the newspaper and more time reading the news on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn…you get the picture. There are an estimated 4.2 billion daily social media users in the world, so if you’re questioning whether or not it’s the right move for you, it’s the right move. Spend this spring figuring out how you can invest in your social media to make it the best it can be.
If you’re already using social media, but you’re not sure whether or not you’re “investing” properly in your pages, you can ask yourself a few of the below questions to give yourself a more accurate indication.
- Who is my intended audience?
- This is the question that you should ask yourself if you’re someone that is on multiple platforms or are considering expanding to multiple platforms. Yes, TikTok is fun, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that your ideal audience is scrolling through videos all day. Before joining any social media, sit down and do the research of who is on what social media site. There is so much information online about what demographics are where. That makes finding the information on where your target audience is, that much easier.
- How consistent is my branding?
- We are big on branding at Rethink. If you follow our page at all, then odds are you’ve seen your fair share of hot pink and black. That’s very purposeful. We want everyone to see those colors and know exactly who’s content they’re seeing. Take a look at your branding. Are you using your logo on every image? Are your brand colors being used consistently? What story are you telling with the content that you put out? These are the questions that you need to ask yourself in order to get a good grasp on where you’re at with your branding.
- Are you being authentic?
- Authenticity is as big as it gets in 2023. People are tired of being sold to. By speaking in an authentic brand voice, you get to showcase who you are. This is especially important for small businesses. Of course we need to hold large corporations accountable as well, but for small businesses, who you are is much more easily accessible to people. Make sure you’re showing the authentic side of you and your business, because that’s what draws people in.
- What sets you apart?
- We are bogged down with ad, after ad, after ad these days. Because of that, you have to be extraordinarily intentional with your messaging and advertising. Make your brand voice very clear. What is it that sets you apart from your competitors? Why should I choose to come to you instead of the 50 other companies just like yours? Give people tangible evidence as to why you are the best at what you do. Answering this question is simple. You just have to have put in the work on the prior three questions, and then you will have set your business apart from the rest of the pack.
- Revisit in Your Brand
A big part of your 2023 spring cleaning should be revisiting your brand. Many businesses pick their brand colors and logo in the very beginning, Then they never look back. This can lead, however, to your brand becoming outdated. Make sure that you’re staying on top of not only what your brand elements are, but your branding as well. You should want to brand every single piece of creative that goes out on social media, or in the newspaper, or on a billboard. Wherever your content is, make sure it is obvious that it’s coming from your brand.
- Analyze Last Year’s Data
In today’s world, we have so much information at our fingertips. Our analytics are no different. Take a look back at how you did last year on social media. What was the engagement like? How did your reach look? These insights will give you a better understanding of what you need to do and where you need to be in 2023. Another great tool for analyzing data is a social media audit. You may be posting on your social media all the time, but do you really know how it stacks up to competitors? Make it a priority this year to really dive into your business’s social media pages and audit them accordingly.
Spring is upon us, and that means one thing: spring cleaning. I know. I’m not excited either. But while I’m begrudgingly scrubbing my kitchen floors, I’ll be getting excited for all the great things Rethink has in store for 2023, and your business can, too! Just take a few minutes to do your own business specific spring cleaning. You never know how it could help you in the coming year.
What spring cleaning will you be doing for your business in 2023? Comment below!